Sunday 31 July 2016

The Box | Thoughts & Opinions

Since relaunching my blog I have wanted to go further then just the original book reviews I would publish weekly. I wanted to publish a post at least once a week that could be about pretty much any topic so that I could share with my readers more about myself. Whether it be a news article I have found interesting or a trailer for a new film I'm excited for or even a quick update on what I have been up to, I hope that these posts give you a greater insight into my own life and hopefully might encourage you too to share your own experiences and loves.


This week I wanted to share with you a website I have been working on closely with a group of classmates. The Box was designed to allow young people to share their own thoughts and opinions with each other. The platform allows pretty much anyone to share their own views in the form of a short article in the hopes it will spark discussion and debate online. From the economic consequences of the Brexit result to the controversy surrounding privacy, we have so far covered a range of different topics that have seen high interaction rates which are already on the increase.

The main triumph I find with the website so far, is the number of contributors we have already established. By having a range of writers for the website, we have been able to cover not only a range of different political views but also different opinions and thoughts in the general sense. Where else would you find articles covering Antonio Conte's appointment as Chelsea Football Club manager with a discussion piece about the relevance of Shakespeare side by side? We truly offer a diverse range of opinions and thoughts that I hope we will be able to expand as the website grows and develops.

I wanted to share The Box with you all to not only showcase the work of the contributors but also because I truly believe it to be a worthwhile cause that I feel strongly about. As someone that has always wanted to be a writer, the chance of being able to showcase my work to a whole community of people online is thrilling and exciting - and it is even better knowing that young people are able to directly publish their own views.

To give you a small insight into the articles we have published, here is a small excerpt from a recent article I wrote about the relevance of Shakespeare in the 21st century:


As an English Literature student I have studied Shakespearean plays and sonnets for the majority of my school life. But is this 16th century playwright still relevant in the 21st century? Having studied Shakespeare at A Level, GCSE and even younger it is simply impossible to count the number of times I have heard my peers complain about constantly reading and analysing the works of William Shakespeare. The elaborate plots, unpronounceable names and Shakespearean language are just some of the complaints that I have heard over the years about reading his plays. Being a book lover since I was little, I find it hard to dismiss such classic literature but the fact remains how long can the basis of English Literature studies be based on the work of a playwright that died just over 400 years ago?


If you are interested in reading more articles like this, I strongly urge you to head on over to The Box website - https://theboxonline.wordpress.com/

If you are interested in writing your own article for the website, leave your interest in the comments section below or go on over to the contact page on The Box website - https://theboxonline.wordpress.com/contact/

No comments:

Post a Comment