Wednesday 21 October 2015

Something A Little Different...


The Importance of Literacy and My Recent Project


I have always had a keen interest in English at school and have always been interested in the importance of the written word. I started this blog just over a year ago to mainly share my views and opinions of some of my favourite books that I couldn’t do in my English Literature classes at school. As well as this, I also wanted to use a blog to build upon my linguistic skills, in the hopes that it would help me with my school work. After writing reviews and posts for some time now, I have come to love blogging and have realised the significance that social media now plays in promoting literacy and reading amongst a generation that is now, supposedly, obsessed with technology.


After discussing my blog with teachers at school, I was given the opportunity to create a literacy-based website for the school that I currently attend. Since June, roughly, I have worked closely with my school to produce a website that would be used by the student body across all subjects, not just for English. The website, although primarily promoting the importance of literacy, includes a range of resources, games and reviews covering a vast range of subjects. I wanted to create a website that was not just educational but also fun and which would allow students to directly contribute throughout the year. The website has also allowed me to communicate with authors and writers that I truly admire, including, Gone author Michael Grant! I can’t begin to describe how it felt to actually ask questions to one of my favourite writers and be able to share my interview with my friends and peers at school.


The website launched on Monday (19th October) and I couldn’t be happier with how it looks and the positive feedback I have received from students and teachers. I wanted to share with you all this project, as I feel that you would appreciate the work that I have done in order to promote literacy. I hope that you find the website fun and engaging and I would really appreciate if you could visit my site, links below, and possibly spread the word amongst your friends and colleagues. This site has been one of the biggest projects I have worked on and I am extremely grateful to all those who have been a part of the setup of the website.


www.cfsliteracy.co.uk

You can also follow us on twitter - @cfs_literacy

No comments:

Post a Comment